Sunday, March 26, 2006

I will learn



Okay, I need to be clear about this from the beginning. The sole purpose of this blog is to feature my photography. I just bought a new camera, and I would very much like to become a decent photographer. As of right now, I suck. I'm hoping that by posting my photos here, I will receive enough constructive criticism to teach me what a good photograph is. Perhaps, as some of you hope, some other topics will sneak onto these pages, and I will become a more well rounded blogger. Don't hold your breath.

I have never kept a blog because I never care to read blogs. Perhaps I am a snob, but for the most part, I don't care to read other people's thoughts. Likewise, I cannot fathom why anyone would be interested in mine. If we really care about each other's thoughts, we can get on the phone, or actually spend time with one another. That said, I rarely talk on the phone, and there aren't many people that I hang out with.

Now to the business at hand. Pictures. Please tell me what you think about my photos. I'm not kidding. I don't know the first thing about what I'm doing, so most pictures you see will not impress you. However, tell me what you like about them and what you don't like. Tell me how they make you feel. I think my problem right now is that none of my photos make me feel anything. Feel free to make suggestions on what would make it a stronger picture. If it needs to be cropped differently, let me know. I leave my self-esteem in your hands.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mr. P said...

well, at first, I think its important to say that the aliens can't read your thoughts, so you can take off the thought radar shield. other than that, the picture of the bowler hat is sweet...

7:35 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger Bethany said...

I kept the hat in case I need a hair cut soon.

8:49 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

Well, keep listening to your Uncle Bob. The picture f the dock on Flickr is a good shot. The advantage of a digital camera is that you can take innumerable shots of the same thing, varying the angle, the aperture, the framing, the way the background interacts with the picture. You can throw out 100 shots for the one that pleases you. I am not a great photographer except that I do what I like. And Vancouver is a wonderful place to take pictures. Go to Burnaby mountains, or Stanley Park, or UBC, or Little Mountain.

11:31 AM, March 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Timmybomb...I just discovered your site from a link from Laurie at Capture This PhotoBlog.

Much like you, I started a photoblog mainly to feature my photos and to inspire myself to shoot more photos and to hopefully improve my photography skills.

My view of photography is this: shoot what you find interesting. What makes you happy. Look for interesting angles, colors, subjects, etc. Even if you think it may not "work", take the photo anyway....you never know. And my most valued thing I've learned recently is to never pass up an opportunity to take a photo. I can't tell you how many potential shots I've seen but missed by thinking "I don't have time now...I'll do it later." Only to have the lighting change later, or the subject be gone, or whatever. I try to take photos everyday and take my camera just about everywhere I go. (Yes, I'm a geek) :-)

My opinion is that anything makes good subject matter for a photo. It's all in how you look at it.

Most of all enjoy yourself. Do what makes you happy.

Hope this helps.

6:55 AM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger Franco said...

Timmybomb,

I might copy and paste your words on my photoblog! I agree on whatever you said.

Franco

1:59 PM, July 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com