Monday, June 05, 2006

Feeling Blue


My wife has been out of town for the last couple of days, so I'm not exactly on top of the world these days. I'll be seeing her tomorrow though, so there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Bethany accompanied me last week on a photo hunt out in Langley. I was specifically hunting barns. I love photos of barns and have wanted to try a few of my own. I tried some a few weeks ago, but I wasn't pleased with the results. I think the barns in these parts suck, so I'm going to go to Washington tomorrow morning and find some better ones.

I thought I was happy with this one, but now that I look at it again, I'm not so sure. It seems time plays funny tricks on me, changing my opinion on the photos I have taken. There are some that do not appeal to me at first that end up being some of my favourites. Others, like this one, seem to lose favour with me as time passes.

I'm not sure what to make of this opinion shift. Should I ignore it, adhering to my first impression; or should I interpret it as gained perspective, believing that there is such a thing as a second chance at a first impression? Anybody else ever notice this "opinion shift"?

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 18mm, f/8.0, 1/100 sec, ISO 50

14 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

I love you, Tim and I can't wait to see you tomorrow!!! And by the way...you take GOOD pictures....ever thought about writing a book?? :)
Your wife

10:53 AM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Brent Vermilyea said...

Nice photo, Timmybomb. The blues and yellows are excellent together. You really captured the place well. (BTW, your full image link is broken.) Cheers, Brent

11:04 AM, June 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a lovely shot. The color is vivid, and the layers of depth; details of field, sequenced and while-lined barns, greens of forest, the blue sky and the clouds make up a good composition. I like the square frame. Since I post once a week, I go through plenty of opinion shifts during the week, too.

1:23 PM, June 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fine view. I like this cold blue in the peacefully landscape.

1:33 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

Opinion shifts? Every day!

I like the unusual (at least around here) blue of these barns. The green and yellow of the field in the foreground sets them off quite nicely.

I also couldn't get the larger view; "server error".

1:57 PM, June 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the colours in this image - they combine perfectly.
If these barns were in England, not only would they be listed buildings, but they would converted into expensive luxury accommodation.

Looking at the shot with a critical eye, the part of barn on the far right is superfluous to the image (in my opinion anyway) and I think the shot would have looked and balanced better with just the two central barns. (but you cannot move a barn - I know.)

I think the shot is great anyway!

All the best
John

2:33 PM, June 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the colors....blue and green r great combination here:-) nice shot:-)

5:29 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Oh, the dreaded opinion shifts. I hate them. I only post what I like on that day, though. Well, last Friday I didn't, but everyone else liked the shot. It turned out my opinion was wrong. So, I guess you never know.

I do love these blue barns. What a wonderful color to choose!

5:30 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

Whoever painted these barns, I love. I prefer blue to red any day.

5:50 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

I think everyone who invests time in any form of art has opinion shifts...what I find interesting is that shot I believe are mediocre get great praise, whereas others that I think will blow people's socks off get so-so comments...it's all in the eye of the beholder.

As for this shot, I like it. The blues are really nice.

6:05 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Kris said...

it's like a painting.the colours are harmonious together, Lovely !!

5:07 AM, June 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a great shot, Tim. It seems so unusual to see blue barns. And we have plenty of barns here in Kentucky, but I don't think I've seen a blue one yet. Great photo!

6:14 AM, June 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Timmybomb,

Sad that we won't cannot spend time with you & Bethany this week - we miss you two. But Have lots of fun down south - Maybe we will go sailing tomorrow.

I like this shot, but?

Maybe the problem is that it seems a bit "static" - ?? could be because of the 'square' format, or because the shot is too centered (vertically), or both.

great colours!

Wondered why you left out the barn on LHS in the back?

Keep on shooting - only 84 (more or less) to go.

unklrbrt

9:27 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Contrast!
GREAT GREAT SHOT!!

5:09 AM, June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com