Friday, June 09, 2006

My Foggy Brain


I mentioned that my early morning photo hunt was met with mild success. That may be a bit optimistic. I spent a few minutes last night looking through the results of my desperate search for the magical lighting that is said to exist at hours that are to fierce to mention. I found the images rather underwhelming.

My early morning excursion was more of a learning experience than anything. The one lesson that I learned was one that my Father-in-law has recited many times before: "You make your plan, you work your plan." I should have heeded his advice. My original intention was to wake up at 3am and drive to an area I had mapped out in the Skaggit Valley, photographing barns and the sunrise over the mountains. My propensity for hitting the snooze button caused me to alter these detailed plans.

Instead I decided to drive all night to a different location south of Seattle and then sleep in my car after choosing an appropriate area. All this to avoid rush hour traffic in Seattle. Silly, silly Tim! It didn't occur to me that I didn't know this area at all. It's pretty hard to find a new location at 2am with no moon. I woke up in the back of my car at 4am to find that there were only two barns near by, and that I was in a mostly residential area. Silly, silly Tim!

The photo you see here is one of the two barns that were near me when I woke up. I overexposed this photo in order to accurately represent the fog and the sky. I'll tell you more about my early morning blunders in the coming days. It was my first time having my eyes open at such an hour, let alone taking pictures at that time, so there were blunders aplenty.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/8.0, 15 sec, ISO 50

19 Comments:

Blogger Nicola said...

Love the blue mood! Great shot!

9:48 AM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have never woke up before 8am, moon or no moon, barn or no barn...I can sleep very very later, but no wake-up.

11:38 AM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful image, love the blues.

11:40 AM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A pretty format for a dreamy blue shot...

12:38 PM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a lovely shot. The blue tones are wonderful. Recently, I had to leave a 5 AM to shoot a sunrise--it wasn't easy at all. :-)

1:20 PM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a very brave man Tim.
No worries, there will be plenty more sunrises to capture yet ;)

1:43 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

Sounds like quite an adventure. Sorry it didn't work out quite as planned.

This is a lovely shot. I like the softness and the blue tones. It feels dreamy and sleepy.

2:21 PM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love what you came up with here. The detail in the trees at teh horizon is really pretty. I am excited to see what else you found!

2:39 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Marc said...

The blue imagery is wonderful. I know what you mean about looking for that shot. Thinking of the image in your mind that you've seen that you want to capture digitally. The lighting at sunrise and sunset lends these blue, orange and red colors to images and adds depth to shots not seen or captured at other "times".

I really like the variation on your blog. It's the spice of life.

5:30 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

Well-cropped! Adds interest!

7:10 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I do love those early morning colors and that beautiful fog!

I think what I need to learn most from my early mornings out is when it's not worth getting up to do so. I can usually only go out on Saturday mornings, and sometimes I'll be there 90 minutes before sunrise, only to be let down with a dismal or totally lacking sunrise...when I knew full well from the weather reports that I should've just stayed home. I'm hopelessly optimistic.

8:37 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger The Alchemist said...

some awesome posts here timmy - wow man - the last couple of posts on this page have been stonking - love the cant do mornings and felling blue and .... well al of em dude, fucing A.

have made the move to japan, and have posted if your interested

9:41 PM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Arrghhh...sounds like a rough monrning Tim. Love this shot though!

9:51 PM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great story, cool shot, and life is all about learning.

6:27 AM, June 10, 2006  
Blogger H.O said...

Hi Timmy
great story and nice picture.
I recommend when you get foggy situation next time then let's try to take b&w image:)
Have a nice weekend!!

7:53 AM, June 10, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Fantastic tone here,
Lovely light,
GREAT GREAT SHOT!!!

11:59 AM, June 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you DID get really well in this shot is the awesome blue hues of "cool" (i.e. low Kelvin number) light that occurs at this early hour. Sometimes you can get close to this end of the Kelvin range in shade or overcast conditions, but it never seems to have that awesome blue quality of the really early morning light.

An experience like the one you had usually results in some great shots the NEXT time you go out to do the same thing. For that reason alone....it's valuable ;)

11:18 PM, June 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome. Looks like a scene from the Lord of the Rings. :-) What are youre photo taking conditions?

11:14 PM, June 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL .. who invented snooze buttons? i just end up getting another hour or two of interupted disjointed sleep & end up being very late for things!!

as for wking up in your car in the wrong place .. all part of the fun!

sometimes you get what you were hoping for, sometimes you get something amazing, mostly one gets disappointment! .. sounds like life!!

laters
;)

11:05 PM, June 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com