Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pigeon Boy


I haven't posted a portrait photo on this site before. It's not really my thing, and I haven't yet learned how to make it my thing. Sadly, I'm in one of those creative funks (I'm sure we've all had them), and I haven't taken a photo that I like in quite some time. Bethany really likes this photo and suggested I share it with you, so here goes nothing...

One of the advantages of my little point and shoot camera is that it has a flip out LCD screen. Normally when taking photos I use the viewfinder to frame my shot, but there is one instance when I use the LCD a great deal: when taking photos of strangers. It's brilliant because I can be sitting nonchalant on a park bench, appearing to be minding my own business, looking at the pavement. In reality I have the LCD screen cradled in my hand with my lens trained on some unsuspecting stranger that I happen to find interesting.

I was able to capture Pigeon Boy (that sounds like a super hero) in this manner while at Granville Island this weekend. I know that the picture isn't perfect, but again, I am abstaining from Photoshop these days. I tried cropping it a few different ways; this version was the least disagreeable.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 47mm, f/3.5, 1/100 sec, ISO 50

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute shot

2:21 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Great expression on this little guy's face...nice one Tim!

2:35 PM, June 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Timmybomb,

Nice "snapshot".

Could have been a great photo except for the pigeon growing out of his left ear and the small white 'bump' on/near the top of his head.

Keep on trying portraits - they can be very demanding, especially candids. Good luck!

unklrbrt

3:37 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

That is a fantastic catch of his purely joyful smile!!

4:37 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

He has a great expression on his face. I think this is a great candid.

The exposure is wonderful, but I think in a case like this, cloning out the bird would have worked to your advantage, give it a try, I think you will be pleased with the result. As much as I dislike Photoshop, I do like cloning, it's very useful.

8:32 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

It is wonderful to capture such unadulterated joy!! I disagree with all of the comments about the pidgeons. They need to invade and permeate the picture to give the reason for his delight. Bethany is right!

1:57 AM, June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like his face and expression. you did a great job capturing the moment. I don't really post portraits either, for me mine just don't compare to some of the others I view. Great job stepping out of your comfort zone.

5:30 AM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger Heather said...

Great candid shot. You were right to heed the wisdom of your wife in sharing this picture with the world! :)

9:29 AM, June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute, nice capture!

11:03 AM, June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great capture - remember excellence is something we strive for - perfection is only from God

12:53 PM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger Ptelea said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the pigeon growing out of pigeon boys head - why? If you gave this image to his mom, do you think she would be bothered by it? The joy on the boy's face says it all.

6:03 PM, June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think sharp focus is the key here. I really wouldn't want to edit a picture. What's there is there, the essential, joy of the boy. Nice capture, well done!

9:13 AM, June 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com