Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Flora Lake Done Right


On Monday I posted a photo of the south end of Flora Lake, where I was camping with friends after hiking over a mountain. I received some very helpful feedback, particularly from Laurie, who was able to voice my own dissatisfaction with the image and many similar photos. Namely, it lacked any particular point of interest.

I took today's photo because the scene interested me a great deal. Specifically, I was drawn to the various triangles that were arranged in such a way that begged to be photographed. The bushes in the foreground also serve the purpose of creating a sense of perspective and depth. I tried to position the camera so that the foreground triangle was parallel with the grey triangle that surrounds it. Is this an improvement over Monday's "nice but boring" photo?

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 11mm, f/8.0, 1/100 sec, ISO 50

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sure is an improvement... for me it works really well, giving the eyes perspective, features to follow and discover and that beautiful mist/low cloud. difficult light to create an interest in the sky but beautifully done.
love
sd

1:54 PM, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Night and day Boss. This is a beautiful shot! I love the way that all of the triangles seem to draw the eye to the point at the end of the lake.

2:16 PM, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is definitely better. There is much more of interest here. It's a little flat since it looks like the lighting was poor that day, but that is just the way things go sometimes. Still there is enough to make up for that in the shot. I particularly like the fog bank on the right...cool.

I see what you were going for with the foreground element...I am on the fence about it though, if it was the bow of a rowboat or a canoe it would definitely work, but not so sure about the folliage. It's not bad, just not sure about it. I think the angles in the tree line and the reflection would work on their own.

Very nice image indeed.

BTW..thanks! I am glad that you appreciated my take on the other image, sometimes I feel like I haven't any right to add my opinion. I can see it and describe it better than I can do it. If you know what I mean?

2:35 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I do think this is a better composition.

2:54 AM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this one Tim. I think the triangle shapes created by the way you framed the photo really help draw the eye to green shoreline. Very nice.

6:14 AM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A much more impressive shot. The triangles work very well as does the alternating areas of light and dark.

7:59 AM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm gutted for you the weather wasn't better for your trip!
real nice photo though ... love the triangles!! ;)

11:38 AM, August 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! 2006 bmw adventure refill ink for printer cartridge Aircraft ground refueling Canal boating in france compactflash nebo microdrive

12:59 AM, February 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com