Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Panning for Gold


My wife has just noted that I was able to get up at 4:00 a.m. this morning "with zeal", while she normally has trouble getting me out of bed at 7:30 or 8:00. I would argue that there was no zeal. I woke up with what could be classified as reluctant anticipation. However, she is right; I no longer have an excuse for sleeping in regularly now that I have demonstrated that I can wake up at any hour I choose.

I attempted my second dawn photo shoot today, again combining it with a barn hunt. Today's location was Ladner, a small community with some farm land about 35 minutes from Vancouver. I arrived at 4:30 and walked through a farmer's field seeking a decent vantage point.

I found a suitable barn and lined it up between me and the sun and camped out for a half hour taking photos every few minutes. The photo you see here is actually four photos stitched together to create the panorama. Later this week I'll share a couple of the other shots I took from this field.

This pano may come across a bit blurry because it underwent some major resizing in order to upload it (it was originally 40 inches wide), but my copy of it is sharp enough. You may notice that the pole just to the right of center looks disjointed. That is a result of the resizing too (I think) because when viewed at a higher resolution it looks normal. Whatever the case, it is not a problem with the stitching.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 11mm, f/8.0, 1/20 sec, ISO 50

18 Comments:

Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

I gotta hand it to you...you're dedicated...the only thing that gets me up at 4 AM is fishing or if the house is on fire.

Great shot...the sacrifice paid off!

9:57 AM, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely range of colors, well worth the trouble.

10:35 AM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Yanik said...

This is great Timmy, love the colours and the crop..As for y'days post..I lOVE it, really really awesome shot..enjoying it a lot :)

11:18 AM, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely scene and very nice panorama. Good job on it.

11:36 AM, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favourites among your last few posts!

11:50 AM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Nice work!! I just love getting up early in eager anticipation of all the possible shots out there!

Oh, are you in trouble now that she's seen you up so early! Can't wait to hear about where this leads.

1:20 PM, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely shot, lovely stitching Timmy.
Not too sure though about the direction in which the road is leading the viewer's eyes towards.

OOOOhhhh...you're in trouble now.

1:34 PM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Pya said...

Wow! you are dedicated...I wish that catches on!!!:)

Where'd I go? searching for new stuff ofcourse. (but i really doubt if i'll get any, seating my rear in front of the TV and watching soccer!!!)

I'll be back! both for the regular posting and regular commenting.

I love panoramas as much as i love macros. I think it shows to everyone, in great detail, what you saw when you walked there. Love this one.

1:37 PM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

Great pano shot!!! Worth getting up for!

3:39 PM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

Thisis a stunning shot -- well cropped and interesting. I love that Fraser valley.

7:32 PM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Ptelea said...

This beautiful sky really does need several shots to be stitched together - I am going to have to try that sometime. I like the way you captured the great colors and also show the lay of the land.

10:09 PM, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice morning panorama! I wish I got out of bed early this morning beacuse we had one of the best sunrises I have ever seen!! maybe tomorrow :)

11:31 PM, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the resolution looks pretty great on my screen. Great shot. I like seeing these sunrise photos from you.

3:12 AM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger tony.unwin said...

well done a early start this time of year rewards you with some great shots... and by breakfast you have a days shot uner your belt, and feel good as the other emerge from the slumber
:o)
T

6:02 AM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Jean said...

J'adore cette photo !
Mystique !

4:20 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Like it alot,you should install Lightbox so it's easier to see them larger,these tiny photos don't look good.GREAT GREAT SHOT!

3:16 AM, June 23, 2006  
Blogger Kris said...

LOvely! yesterday, I set the alarm to 4.30 am with intention to capture some dawn shots, still i was late.....

4:46 AM, June 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's easy to get up early to do something you love!
.. & it really is the best time of the day; so quiet & peacefull

5:16 AM, June 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com