Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Grass Practice


This was an experiment. I had noticed a city garden a couple blocks from my home that had some extraordinary long grass in amongst the flowers. After driving past it several times, I became determined to go and explore it. I say it was a garden, but in reality it was a space of only about 20 square feet beside the curb at the corner of a street.

Long grass fascinates me, so any time I see it I want to grab my camera and dive in. I like the way it flows in front of the lens and becomes almost transparent when I focus on a subject a few feet away. These dead flowers interested me, so I decided to focus on one of them while peeking through the grass. I'm sure the neighbours were mildly bemused to see a grown man crawling through the public garden.

As I said, this was an experiment. I was simply practicing the technique so that when a great opportunity presents itself, I will know how to get the results I want. Well, I think the experiment turned out well enough that I'm willing to show it to you. Besides, since the point is to get better at this particular type of photography, I could use any tips you may have for me.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 54mm, f/4.0, 1/40 sec, ISO 50

9 Comments:

Blogger Monterey John said...

Timmy, nicely done!

12:19 PM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Nice capture...I like this shot very much. DOF is sweet!

4:21 PM, July 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the dead flowers..not sure about the piece(s) of grass that is hanging into the shot. I think it would look better if the grass wasn't there. I think the flowers make a statement by themselves. Nice textures and tones. Good background too.

4:22 PM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Good eye, I think that flowers at this stage are just as lovely as when they are at peek bloom.

3:08 AM, July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your focus. I do wish there was a little more green/darkness on the right side, just a tad wider crop I think. I do really like the colors and textures.

5:36 AM, July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the sharpness of the shot, good DOF. Lovely shot.
Suby

A very busy Suby :P

7:40 AM, July 27, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

As Suby sasy I like the sharpenss , one one of them that is, the others couldve been is focus with a smaller aperture, but Im guessing due to lighting that was not possible so you're excused :D I like contrast too.
GREAT GREAT SHOT!!

10:00 AM, July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good composition timmybomb.

This photo has character - like an antique.

Are the out-of-focus grasses in front or behind the flowers? Based onyour text, I thought they would be in front - but based on the photo, they look like they are behind the flower.

good work! good eye!

unklrbrt

1:09 PM, July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea, but I think that I would like the shot better if it just contained the flowers. The inclusion of the grass actually detracts to the composition for me. I am having a hard time figuring out that lower piece of grass...it feels almost disembodied a bit. :-) I do like shots of dead/dying flowers.

11:38 AM, July 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com