Saturday, July 22, 2006

Bike by the Dyke


The famous Uncle Robert took me on a photo hunt on Thursday evening. He took me to a very strange place called Finn's Slough, which is a very old fishing village beside the Fraser River Dyke in Richmond. It is a community of old (very junky) houses and boats that are inhabited by squatters.

Unfortunately, we arrived a bit too late in the evening and the sun was already a bit too low, creating severe shadows. We will have to go back later this year when the sun is setting further to the south, so that the shadows are not stretching across the width of the slough.

Because of the lighting conditions, I didn't have very many successful photos. In fact, I can't even claim much credit for this image. I was simply copying the famous Uncle Robert when I took this picture, it was his idea to photograph the bike in the first place. Imitation is the highest form of flattery though. Admittedly, it is a rather compelling subject. How often do you see a bicycle on a roof?

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 13mm, f/3.2, 1/400 sec, ISO 50

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This photo works for me. I love this time of day because the light is so warm and shadows rake across the landscape. You're right, I can't recall seeing any bikes on roofs.

4:37 PM, July 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The light here is perfect. Well done!

Regards,
Jason

10:19 PM, July 22, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Ah I must comment on this before I am bound to an eternal day of organic chemistry...love it, the brown tones are awesome, and I like how this picture is like a bunch of pieces with the smoke stack and tree and bike.GREAT GREAT SHOT!!!

10:50 PM, July 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Timmybomb,

I like this shot. I think I like it better than the one I took - even though mine is probably better.

I like the composition & colour. The quality of light was pretty good that night - sun was just too low.

You might want to check out gary Point tomorrow - Kite Competitions from 10 to 5 - might provide some interesting & challenging stuff to shoot.

Keep up the good work.

unklrbrt

11:03 PM, July 22, 2006  
Blogger Nick said...

Nice picture, but I have one problem with it. You tell me it's a bike on a roof - and it's a pity you had to tell me. The picture itself doesn't really tell this story. How far from the ground is it? We don't know. How bizarre is thew positioning of the bike (on the roof)? We don't know because we can't see the surroundings. So really, it's just a picture of an old, rather interesting bike at the moment. If you ever go back, I'd like to see more please.

11:06 PM, July 22, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

The only reason I could think to hang a bike that high up is the protect it from the water. Does it flood in that area?

2:03 AM, July 23, 2006  
Blogger MMM said...

I love all the rusty tones in the photo. Very cool!

6:48 AM, July 23, 2006  
Blogger Natalie said...

Definitely an interesting subject. It make one ask questions like who would put their bik on the roof like that and why?

4:56 PM, July 23, 2006  
Blogger Mr. P said...

that was a good point about the bike being hard to tell it was on the roof. I mean, clearly it wasn't on the ground, but it might have (don't know not having been there) been better to include some of the rest of the squat.

finn's slough is SO cool eh? I can't wait till the salmon run.

see you tomorrow=ish?

12:23 AM, July 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think lighting is fine, you get good shadow of the bike, over the warm roof wall. I can't say much about the tree, but rest is good, and overall nice shot.

1:41 AM, July 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to leave a coment on this one earlier but blogger ws not being co operative.

It is quite amusing to see a bicycle perched on a roof this way.

I really think the tones are beautiful.

3:17 PM, July 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I think nobody will steel this bike :-)
BTW I like the colors and the composition...

12:54 PM, July 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com