Friday, August 18, 2006

Flora Lake at Dawn


Stop. Make note of your first impression... okay, now you can read. I planned to post this photo today, so I will. However, I must admit that my enthusiasm for the image has waned significantly. I think I liked it at first because it had certain connotations that made me feel good. When I take a step back and look at it with a critical eye the shapes and the symmetry kind of bother me.

I have stated that it was cloudy and rainy throughout the entirety of our trip to Flora Lake. The morning of our departure was the one brief exception. We awoke to a beautiful sky reflecting off of the misty lake. We were in a hurry to break camp, but I took a few minutes to study the scene and attempt a couple of different compositions. As you have no doubt discovered, the reflections on the surface of the lake were always begging to be included in the composition.

While the light is always beautiful early in the morning, most brains are not yet functioning at full capacity. I wish I had spent a few more minutes exploring the possibilities that morning. This particular photograph will have to suffice, but it does not do the scene justice. I did have the presence of mind to take three different exposures, accounting for the sky, the trees, and the reflected sky. This image is a combination of all three exposures and is the only heavily processed photo in this series.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/8.0, ISO 50
Sky: 1/50 sec, Trees: 0.6 sec, Reflected Sky: 1/13 sec.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one plays neat tricks with the eyes. Either that or I am just tired. I like the mist and the way the sky reflects on the water which is as smoothe as glass. Lovely spot. I bet it is like a little piece of Heaven there.

9:55 PM, August 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1st impressinon, STONKING, 2nd impression, ABSOLUTELY STONKING, 3rd impression, VERY ABSOLUTELY STONKING...

Love the shot. Not much I can say apart from that.

Suby

12:42 AM, August 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome reflection - just like a mirror..cheers :)

12:53 AM, August 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first impression was "beautiful shot" but I think I may have included a little more of the tree in the frame. But I really like the color, the stillness of the water, the lighting. Very nice job, Tim!

8:07 AM, August 19, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I really like this image. It has a wonderful natural almost abstract look. I like that you took the three exposures, well thought out at the early in the a.m.

9:02 AM, August 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i too love the simplicity of it.
awesome reflection on the amazingly still reflective surface of the lake ;)

11:40 AM, August 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Timmybomb,

I find this shot feels a bit "heavy". It may be too much one sided - dark on RHS.

I like some of the other mountain/lake shots better.

unklrbrt

7:07 PM, August 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think youre slipping into an overly critical period. Look bacl at the images that you used to take and then compare with this - its brilliant. The symmetry is a big positive in this image (IMHO). I think you done good.

3:46 AM, August 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely shot. Can't say anything else. Other than its rather dark ish on my screen.

2:47 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger PhotoSam said...

It's just brilliant...as simple as that....8.5/10

3:07 PM, August 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mist adds so much feeling to the image, lovely cool, calm morning.

5:03 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

My first impression is very positive -- and that impression has lingered. Good eye.

7:30 PM, August 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First impressions were Wow and then I started to wonder about the cropping of the scene especially down the left hand side...Still a nice image though

3:43 AM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger Kate said...

Their is an almost surreal quality to this foto--very abstract, and very nice! I agree that a tiny bit on the left could be cropped. And, don't be so critical!!

6:58 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb. Very atmospheric.

2:18 AM, September 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com