Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Noise Reduction?


My good friend Allon joined me on a rather rushed excursion to the University of British Columbia last night. It was my first time taking photographs there, so unfortunately we did not find the best vantage point. This was my second time photographing the sunset, and I was careful not to overexpose my shots. Having said that, I'm wondering if I underexposed them...

I was pleased with the colours in this photo, but when I viewed it at a higher resolution I was disappointed to see so much noise. I was careful to only use ISO 50, so I'm wondering why the noise? Did I underexpose the picture, leading to a great deal of noise? My other question is about getting rid of the noise. I've been thoroughly discouraged with the noise reduction filter that comes with Photoshop CS2. Is there a really good filter out there? I've heard of Noise Ninja, but it costs about $50. Is it worth the money, or is there a better solution out there? Give me your thoughts. Oh, other than the noise, what do you think of last night's sunset?

7 Comments:

Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

This is a beautiful shot! At this size, I don't detect the noise you're concerned about. As far as software products go, Noise Ninja is an outstanding product. I do not own it yet, but I've used it and it does a remarkable job.

On another note, I've added you to my list of favourite blogs on my site...hope that's cool with you. Keep up the good shooting!

Email me with a reply email addy to discuss RSS Feed and RAW if you'd like.

Cheers!

11:37 AM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not detect noise either. I think it's a great shot of a dramatic sky.

2:55 PM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to see noise with this resolution, but I'm surprised that you saw it in ISO 50. Exposure is good, too. Very nice sky. I'd suggest increasing contrast, but not sure if that's going to reveal more noise. I once used Graycrestore for noise reduction, but it's so slow, and hard to experiment with, I never used it again. Look at this page: http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/pepe/d70/Nikon_D70_on_Linux.html

Cheers

5:05 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

I don't detect noise on my monitor. It is a beautiful sunset. Learn to check a histogram. If your camera will provide a histogram when sheeting, it will tell you a lot about the exposure levels.

7:47 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Wolf said...

It looks pretty clean to me! Very nice sunset!

8:46 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Ali said...

I think this shot is just fine. You can't really spot the noise unless you look REALLY hard for it. The composition is simple and effective and thats all that matters.

10:33 AM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

I think this is beautiful. I really cannot see the noise either. The colors are terrific.

Thanks for including my link.

I agree with whoever said it may be time to lose the word "rookie" from your blog's title. :)

12:46 PM, April 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com