Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Electric Orange


This picture is a bit of a cop out. I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning (going sailing with the famous Uncle Robert and Aunt Sylvia), and I didn't plan what I was going to share with you today. I have some decent pictures to show you, but I'm being indecisive, so instead you get another sunrise image (sorry Suby, better than a flower though, eh?).

I actually kind of like this photo. All that black appeals to me for some reason. I'm toying with the idea of cropping a bit more off the top, so that the amount of black at both the top and the bottom is exactly equal. I was really excited a couple of months ago when I discovered while photographing a sunset, that you can completely change the colours and mood of a sunset/rise by severely underexposing. Perhaps it is a bit gimmicky, but I think if the composition is strong enough, it can work really well.

When experiencing this sunrise last week, I became annoyed because there were so many power lines in the way. How can you have a nice nature photograph with all that electricity on the horizon? I once complained to the famous Uncle Robert about power lines. He told me I should use them, not try to avoid them. With that in mind, I created this composition.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 44mm, f/8.0, 1/500 sec, ISO 50

9 Comments:

Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Killer colour Tim!! Love this one.

3:43 PM, June 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,
What I like best about this photo is the title. Fits perfectly! The picture is great too. Keep up the good work!
Connie/Mom

4:43 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I want to meet this famous uncle. He sounds too cool, and very wise.

Beautiful photo, I like the silhouettes, too.

Hope you had a great day sailing!

9:12 PM, June 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this, I don't find it boring at all.

I think power lines are interesting. While the can disrupt the "natural aspect" of an image I am a firm believer in not cloning out major parts of a photo. I like them to be left with reality, if something is in the way, so be it - It's great that you used it.

4:24 AM, June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great shot, great colours .. love how th e orange is sandwiched between the blacks .. .. as for the power lines - i prefer the more natural look, but in reality power lines have now become so much more a regular part of everywhere you look, that they are kinda part of the landscape! i find pylons are interesting structures, & should certainly be used rather than classed as an annoyance (unfortunately i don't have any/many near me .. just upright logs with wires between!)

(oh, & i've finally got my ass in gear & linked to you - hopefully this'll mean i get round to visiting more often!)
laters ;)

4:46 AM, June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the title - the shots not bad either. I think the power lines ass to the image.

9:17 AM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

I like, I like alot. That orange is like divine.Fantastic.
GREAT GREAT SHOT!!!

11:04 AM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger Pya said...

Lol! I just saw the picture (did not notice the title) and wanted to comment "Electric Orange, eh?!" Then while reading through the comments about the aptness of the title...I had to smile :)

Nice silhouette. Do not crop the top black to make it a perfect 1/3. Sometimes, asymmetry works better...and this does it here.

12:35 PM, June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I like the dark orange and silhouettes in the horizon especially in two shades of orange.

3:12 AM, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com