Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Not a Stupid Lily Photo


I normally like to change things up around here, but today I'm posting a second dawn photo. It was taken thirty minutes earlier than yesterday and I was facing southeast, instead of northeast. If that isn't enough variety for you, than you'll just have to trust that this is a lot better than the stupid lily photo I was going to share with you today.

The famous Uncle Robert has told me that the excellent light that sunrises provide does not last as long as the lighting conditions found in the evening. I have certainly found this to be true. I actually find dawn photography to be less peaceful - though perhaps more exciting - for this reason.

Knowing that sunrise photography is all about timing, I was rushing to my predetermined location when I saw this creek. I was anxious to get to my field, but I didn't want to ignore the opportunity to create this composition; so I slammed on the brakes (okay, maybe not "slammed", but everything seems more dramatic at that time of day), threw the car into reverse and hopped out with my tripod to capture this. Was it worth the minor delay?

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/8.0, 2.5 sec, ISO 50

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a lovely shot, but I would have been tempted to shoot it a little more to the left. I kind of feel like there's something missing right off the left edge since that is where the brightness is drawing my eye. Also, that would have moved the line of the water more off-center. In any case though, it's very nice and certainly worth stopping for.

10:30 AM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful shot...great spot wt a nice reflection in the water:-)))

1:38 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Pya said...

Beautiful...This is some place where i would love to sit by the creek with my feet in the water, watching the sun being born yet again! (and slapping that annoying mosquito on my neck!)

Lovely!

3:23 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Nice Tim....BUT TOO EARLY DUDE!! *yawn*

6:14 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

Lovely cool blue tones.

I think early morning light is much cooler in tone than evening and I think it's more fun. I love the solitude at that hour. I feel like I own the world and all it's secrets when I am witnessing a sunrise by myself, especially on the water. My favorite spot is the beach for a sunrise, although I will take one anywhere.

9:24 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same problem here, sun is up at about 5.30 and its winter time! Summer its even earlier. Morning shoots are excellent; I have run around like someone crazed when the light has been good.

11:21 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely shot Timmy, it's got great potential. I can see you really thought about the composition and I like the way you did it. But, and this is the only problem I can see, your shot seems a bit underexposed. Still, I think it was definately worth the delay.

1:14 AM, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely shot, a bit tooo dark even for the Subster though :) But in a funny way it works.

Suby

2:54 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Jean said...

Oui , la lumière du matin est mystérieuse .
Celle que je préfère est celle de 10 heures , en été .

4:23 AM, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely, and deffinately not a stupid lily lol.

5:22 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger tony.unwin said...

this is truly excellent...

:o)
T

7:17 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Monterey John said...

And what's wrong with a lily???!!!! See my post of today. LOL!

8:15 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Yes, well worth the delay!!

3:59 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Yes, well worth the delay!!

3:59 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Not a stupid lily photo, LOL,
I like this, only because it took me 5 minutes to figure out what the darn thing is.At fist i thought it was two cliffs, then after hard thought, its a river sorta right?Anyways I like it,
GREAT GREAT SHOT!

3:15 AM, June 23, 2006  
Blogger Rich said...

Even though there are (obviously) little range in colour it works really well. Has a special quality about it.

11:45 AM, June 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find this shot very appealing. I love it because it is so dark and not the normal grand light display of sunrise or sunset. The darkness also emphasizes that strip of water that is perfectly reflecting the sky. It's very mysterious, beautiful and soulful to me. Really nice work!

3:29 AM, July 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com