Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Stupid Lily Photo


See, I told you it would be stupid. On the weekend I mentioned to you that the more ridiculous of a position I am in when taking a photo, the more I feel like a pro. In the opening chapter of his book Photographing The World Around You, Freeman Patterson seems to imply the same, suggesting we begin to explore plants from underneath or (if it's a bush) from the inside looking out. It was with that in mind that I took this photo while lying in my wife's garden.

To be truthful, I chickened out yesterday. I was going to post this photo, but when I asked Bethany her opinion, the image did not get a favourable review. But today I have realized that it's okay to share my experiment with you. After all, this blog is to help me learn. I want to know how I could better compose a similar photo in the future.

Some will request a greater depth of field, specifically to accommodate that leaf in the bottom left corner. The lowest aperture I can achieve with my camera is f/8.0, so this is as much depth of field as you get. I actually kind of like it the way it is. I tried cropping out everything but the bulk of the flower, but I liked this best. As it stands, there was no post processing done to this image (except to clone out a stray twig in the sky).

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/8.0, 1/125 sec, ISO 50

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a nice photo, but I agree that the leaf in the bottom left corner is a little distracting. While your wife may not appreciate it, it'd be nice if that leaf wasn't there to open up more space around the tulip, so it's more isolated against the blue sky. I'd also be tempted to get a little lower to show more of the tulip's stem (which might require you to zoom out a little more -- wider angle). Very nice color and exposure.

10:49 AM, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely colors and nice viewpoint, well done!

10:50 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

I actually like this. I think the bold colors are great and it's a good perspective. The green leaf, well, I might have tried moving it out of the way, but it isn't overwhelming the shot so it's ok.

12:13 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Natalie said...

I like it because you can see the texture of the petals thanks to the sunlight shining through. And the looking up into the sky is a much cooler view than your normal flower shot. I know what you mean about feeling more pro when you're in strange positions. =)

3:07 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I love this perspective! Hope you didn't crush anything shooting at this angle!

4:01 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Monterey John said...

Well, er, uh... what can I say and still be welcome here... great color! Yeh, that's it! Great color.

You crack me up, Timmy :)

8:27 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Monterey John said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:27 PM, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but very good and well saturated pattern!

12:43 AM, June 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now Timmy, i like this, it sort of reminds me of the sort of image Sinem would take. See it is always good to once in a while experiment, that for sure is the best way to learn ot to broaden ones horizon. You do tend to also get very condtructive feedback from bloggers who may be more versed in the style you are attempting.

Since I am not one of them for images like these, I will shut up and let my more learned bloggers comment more :)

Suby

1:40 AM, June 23, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

1. It's not a stupid photo.At all.
2.You should have a RiskyWeek, and post images you are unsure of, its alot of fun.
3.This shot is absolutely fantastic,
4.Except that green twig really bothers me alot.Doesn't fit in at all.That's it.
5.With only 1 flaw you get a GREAT GREAT SHOT!!

3:14 AM, June 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the experiment, and your bravery to post. I do like this a lot, don't love it, but I don't think it's stupid at all. You should try things like this more often.

5:02 AM, June 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the leaf, I love the three contrasting colours. I love the orange with the blue. it's great!

5:17 AM, June 23, 2006  
Blogger Rich said...

A bugs eye view...like it.

11:46 AM, June 23, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Not sure how I missed this one Tim....Sweet!!

7:06 PM, June 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warm orange color, sweet shot. I noticed 50 ISO, that's a good macro camera.

4:43 PM, June 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure miss that twig you cloned out (hehe).

I tend to agree with Otto, except I might go a bit higher (rather than lower) to get more of the stamen. Better yet, try it both ways to see which you like better.

All in all, the photo is fine the way you made it. Great use of complementary colors and (except for the leaf) very clear focus.

(Now. About getting inside that bush...)

7:46 PM, June 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice shot .. great contrast between the orange & the blue

i'm always in my garden, taking photos of everything, from every angle ... keep it up! ;)

5:19 AM, June 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com