Thursday, July 13, 2006

Fundamental Forgetfulness


I was actually able to get to one marina in Deas Slough. This reflection of boats on a rack interested me, so I tried a few different compositions. At the time, I didn't think I was going to like this particular photo. I wasn't sure about the ripples, so I waited a while for the water to calm down so I could take one without the disturbance. As it turns out, this one was my favourite. The ripples seem to add one more point of interest to a fairly simple composition.

Being new to the visual arts, I am still having a hard time remembering many of the fundamentals. Things like lines and shapes often escape my memory when I am composing a shot. Later, when I review my work, I find that the photos that I enjoy the most are the ones that make use of those fundamental design elements. I'm not sure how they got there, because I wasn't thinking about them at the time.

For example, this particular image interests me because of the way the circle (ripples) interrupts the horizontal lines of colour (boats). I would sound very pretentious if I told you I meant to do that. Instead, as I admitted earlier, I made a point of making another version that excluded this feature. Oh well, I guess that's why we take so many photos; that way we have options when we get home.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 29mm, f/8.0, 1/15 sec, ISO 50

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Timmybomb,

I don't know why (or if you are aware of it), but when I click your reecent photos for the large vervion I get a slightly different crop - seems like bottom of photo is missing.

I like this photo, but I can see several different "crops' for it - might or might not increase the WOW! for me.

unklrbrt

5:53 PM, July 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always amazed by your eye for what will be interesting and pleasing.

It's good you are developing your skills. Who knows what it will lead to?

Love,
Antsylv

6:06 PM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Very cool Tim. I like this one for the very reasons you stated in you commentary. Keep on experimenting and shooting!!

9:01 PM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

I think the fundamentals were probably figured out after a successful image or is done by analyzing the images that appeal to people after the shot was taken not the other way around. So that is probably why you don't think about it so much when you take the shot. It's intuitive.

Fantastic shot!

9:51 PM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I have to agree with Laurie, there's a reason we have the fundamentals. They are just the basis of what appeals to us naturally. That's what draws us in and makes us want to take the image in the first place. Later, as we gain knowledge and experience, we can use those fundamentals to build images where maybe they aren't quite there yet, or to improve on something that already is. I think this image shows that you've got a natural eye, and that the fundamentals are already in your subconscious.

3:13 AM, July 14, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

I like I like,
Very clear one you got there, and it looks so perfect.
GREAT GREAT SHOT!!!

4:19 AM, July 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the framing is really great, here. love the ripples and the soft feel..

4:36 AM, July 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great reflection, you are right about the ripples, it adds a lot. I can be the same way, things I think will be best when I take a photo turn out worst, and the shots I don't think as much about look best. I am actively now trying to turn my brain off when I take pictures, and just take them to capture the moment naturally.

5:11 AM, July 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well spotted reflection, but I think it's lacking a central point of interest. There are lots of horizontal lines, but they don't lead anywhere. The closest thing that fits the bill is the origin of the ripples, but there's nothing there either. Maybe if you had zoomed in or cropped away the left and bottom thirds of the frame to leave just horizontal shapes, then it'll be a more focused abstract.

7:18 AM, July 14, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

This is a rich photo and the dull brown wharf at the top helps set it off. I like this composition.

7:20 AM, July 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dream in water ;)

7:52 AM, July 14, 2006  
Blogger Nick said...

I hate the title, but love the picture; beautifullyn seen.

9:03 AM, July 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this shot. My tip; know the rules, and know when to break 'em. Cheers.

1:33 PM, July 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep, the ripples add so much more interest & lines & abstracty bits

& yep, i love the beatuy of digital .. so many pictures, of so many angles/zooms/etc

11:49 PM, July 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

really cool shot...beautiful lines and patterns in the water...great abtract:-)))

12:15 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Nivio de Souza said...

Very good reflex! Nice shot.

3:03 PM, July 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very great picture. Perfect reflection!

6:56 AM, July 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com