Saturday, July 08, 2006

What Big Eyes You Have...


I went on a very brief photo hunt yesterday with Bethany. The only time we had was right in the middle of the day, so the conditions weren't great. That didn't stop me though because it had been a while since my last photo session. I had one specific subject in mind (which I will show you on Monday), but while I was studying various options for that subject Bethany was looking for other opportunities.

There were a couple of lovely gardens nearby. She called my attention to several interesting plants and then found three dragon flies basking in the sunshine. This one in particular caught my eye. I like his blue and brown camouflage.

I was very careful not to bump him with my lens, but as you know, I have to get very close with my lens in order to get one of the desired compositions. As it turns out, this guy was so intent on getting his afternoon nap, he didn't mind getting bumped once or twice.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 72mm, f/6.3, 1/200 sec, ISO 50

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. Excellent detail and color in the dragonfly.

11:39 AM, July 08, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Oustanding clarity! I love the position you captured him in too....excellent Tim!

4:15 PM, July 08, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

Absolutely positively fabulous!

You bumped him and he didn't move !?!?!?!?!?

6:03 PM, July 08, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Nice work!! Can't wait to see Monday's image!

9:22 PM, July 08, 2006  
Blogger tony.unwin said...

wow cool shot....

11:07 PM, July 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dragonflies are so damn cool!! .. & this is an amazingly beautiful specimen!

quite simply a great shot! ;)

3:16 AM, July 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice composition on blue tones ;)

3:50 AM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger Rich said...

I zoomed this picture up and it really does look like his body is made of scrap Pepsi-Cola cans. Great specimen.

2:27 PM, July 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Timmy, this is awesome crisp macro. I'm amazed with the blue eye and the body. Delicate shot. Did you use a pod? Btw, daily didn't work for me again, but I have a workshop now, I redesigned the complete website and the photoblogging engine. So I missed few of your photos, going over them ;-). I'm back on my weekly schedule again, so I'll be dropping by weekly to go over your pics. Cheers!

6:09 PM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

This dragonfly shot is fantastic. The brilliance of the blue and brown alone make it photoworthy.

6:38 PM, July 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great shot, well done on the sharpness and the colours! It's got such big blue eyes... :)

8:12 PM, July 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent detail, color, and DoF. I'm glad you didn't bump him too hard. It's nice to have a willing model, isn't it.

8:29 PM, July 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely shot the detail and the colour in this image is great.

3:26 AM, July 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, Tim. As I'm finding out, there are shots to be had no matter what time of day it is! You might want to carry with you, in your bag, something to use a reflector, such as a small white card, and a white handkerchief. These make excellent reflectors and translucent shades, respectively. :-)

4:42 AM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Marie McC said...

Super! I've never been able to get close enough to a dragonfly to take a picture.

6:58 AM, July 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely crisp shot, nice macro!

11:24 AM, July 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

colors and detail r amazing...beautiful shot:-))

12:29 PM, July 10, 2006  
Blogger Kris said...

i viewed the larger version , a very fine macro! did u use the tripod?

ps. i got to catch up on your postings, as i need time to read ;D

12:00 PM, July 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com