Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Inspiration, wherefore art thou?


I'm feeling a little short on material today. Lots of pictures, zero good ones. This one is okay, I guess. I took this photo while walking on the beach with Bethany last month. I took many mediocre pictures that day. I was ticked when I got home and discovered that I had somehow set my camera to a lower resolution, meaning that my already mediocre images were of a sub-par quality.

This photo was taken from a dock, looking east towards downtown (the west end). It was a really cold April day, as evidenced by the fresh snow seen on the trees at the top of the mountains.

I am always interested to see photos that document other cities, but it's hard to capture an image that has an impact on me when taking photos of the city that I live in. Vancouver is said to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Why can't I figure out how to capture such beauty on film (yeah, I know it's not film, but you know what I mean). Tomorrow I will take a drive through the country. Perhaps inspiration will hit me there.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 18mm, f/8.0, 1/200 sec, ISO 50

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, this is a great shot! i love that the sign is in there, it really adds a lot to the shot.

12:44 PM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Mr. P said...

I like it because it looks kind of surreal, (not surrey'eel)

I really dig it though. of course I am sick of vancouver shots, living here and seeing postcards, but this is different. I think.

5:28 PM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Brent Vermilyea said...

Excellent. Potentially the sign is a little too much to the left, but I don't think so. It works very well and gives a different perspective to the usual cityscape shot. Nice one, timmybomb. Cheers.

5:44 PM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Brent Vermilyea said...

BTW, I was in Vancouver for one night. Didn't get to see much; had dinner at the pier. Big cities can be hard to put your head around at first. If you're in a small town it seems easier, at least to me, to really document the place. Good luck on capturing beauty. But do try and find beauty in things rarely photographed.

5:46 PM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

I think this is a lovely shot. Ilove the mountains behind the city. That just looks wild to me.

8:45 PM, May 23, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Love the shot man.The DOF is absolutely fantastic and you didn't do anything wrong.GREAT GREAT SHOT!

8:00 AM, May 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this one, cool composition, that sky is wonderful!

8:45 AM, May 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely lovely shot

2:10 PM, May 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an interesting shot Timmybomb. The sign makes it!
Good luck in your documentation :)

4:06 PM, May 24, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Great skyline...the sign makes it a 10!

8:21 PM, May 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great shot it grabbed me as your page loaded nicely done

5:18 AM, May 25, 2006  
Blogger Nicola said...

GReat shot of the skyline! I like that you included the pole in the front as well.

8:10 AM, May 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning shot, the depth of field is superb. What a great shot!!

7:57 PM, May 26, 2006  
Blogger Dalva M. Ferreira said...

Heyas!!!

Come to Brazil, friend, therefore thou shall have inspiration always and always and always!!!
Huge photos, art these...


aahahahahahahaha


(I came here from Jean's blog, A la recherche de l'absolu - please come to my blog THE ROAD NOT TAKEN - and learn Portuguese ahahaha Kisses from faaaaaaar away São Paulo, Brazil)

7:38 AM, May 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com