Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Musings on Monitors


Being in Oregon has drawn my attention to an issue that I hadn't given much thought to previously. Namely, monitors. Earlier this year Bethany and I bought a new 19" LCD monitor. Today I am working on my mother-in-law's laptop. The images look very different to me on this display. I now realize that some images that I find stunning because of their clarity and colour on my monitor at home, have less of an impact on other displays. All I can say is that if you are at all serious about viewing or editing photography, make sure you have a good monitor, because it plays a big role in your experience.

I'm not normally one to toot my own horn, but I have to admit that I really like this photo. I took it when we went to the tulip festival in Washington. There was a pile of crates at the edge of the field and was able to take several different shots of the crates. This is my favorite, though I may post another one soon. To be perfectly honest, I did end up adjusting this photo slightly. I sharpened it a touch and then darkened it a bit (not much) so the background was not a distraction. Some of the background was cropped off the right side.

Is it awful to enjoy your own work every once in a while? I'm normally the self-deprecating type. I think it's dangerous to like your own photos too much because any criticism may crush you. I'm trying to develop a critical eye, so please forgive my ramblings. Criticize away...

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 46mm, f/3.5, 1/100, ISO 50

17 Comments:

Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

You are right about monitors...night and day! My home monitor looks very different (much better!) than my work monitor. Colour calibration and brightness levels are crucial when editing, so I only edit at home.

This tulip shot is beautiful!

1:42 PM, May 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this one, too. I love the way the petals are hanging down. That's great.

1:43 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger siege2050 said...

Awesome color and clarity in your photos.

3:44 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

Oooh! This is lovely. I like the way you framed this a lot. There is a very nice contrast between the vibrant, smooth beauty of the tulip, against the rough texture and gray color of the wood.

I like the droopy petals, it reminds me again that there is still beauty even where there is imperfection.

4:51 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger H.O said...

Hi timmybomb
I love this color and nice composition.

7:34 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

This one works for me as well. Where in Oregon? I ask because Greater Vancouver and Salem was how my family was split growing up.

8:10 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger "K" Fingerett said...

I like this image as well :) And I was thinking the same thing Laurie was [she beat me to it] about the flower against the crate ^_^


~K

8:42 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Lovely shot : crisp and colourful :) GREAT GREAT SHOT!
I always calibrate my monitor before going to photoblogs or editing (I only have one anyways)

9:21 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Mr. P said...

yeah man, enjoy away! drive safe.

10:08 PM, May 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luscious color.

10:19 PM, May 17, 2006  
Blogger Nicola said...

Great close-up!

1:40 AM, May 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful image and you should like it! If you have more and are going to post another, do not hesitate. Monitors are very tricky! Some of my stuff looks very different when created on my monitor at home, instead of at work (and it's not just the calibration either!)

Regards,
Jason

3:19 AM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger jane said...

Great contrast and what a beautiful colour!

4:48 AM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Jean said...

I like much this composition! Dash towards the sky, harmonizes rosy red with the color of wood, contrasts of the roundnesses of the tulip with the angles of wood… a photograph built very well!

J'aime beaucoup cette composition !
Elan vers le ciel , harmonie du rouge rosé avec la couleur du bois , contraste des rondeurs de la tulipe avec les angles du bois ...une photo très bien construite !

5:12 AM, May 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great shot, Tim! One of your best I think!

6:51 AM, May 18, 2006  
Blogger Brent Vermilyea said...

Nice shot. The conflicting textures and colors of both the wood and the flower are very appealing. Nice eye. Regards, Brent

3:45 PM, May 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should like it! You did a great job capturing the vibrant color of the flower without losing detail in the reds (real challenge with most digitals). The contrast provided by the crate really sets it off.

4:34 PM, May 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com