Friday, May 12, 2006

Can't Decide


I like this photo too much. I can't decide what direction I want to take it. Sometimes when I look at it, I am convinced that the sunny portion of the photo is overexposed. Other times, I am satisfied with the exposure. I tried processing the photo to underexpose the sun, but I'm posting the original. I think I like it best. Maybe not. I don't know.

This picture is already slightly underexposed. I took a series of photos of the sunset last weekend, underexposing most of them for effect. There were several that turned out quite well that I will be sharing periodically over the next few weeks.

The other decision that I had difficulty with was cropping. The version you see here was not cropped at all. I tried cropping the top off so that it was a horizontal rather than vertical perspective. After trying that, I realized that I had taken some photos with that perspective already, and the reason I liked this photo in the first place was because of the expansive sky at the top of the image. Silly fool.

Enough of my rambling. What are your thoughts? Too bright at the bottom? Perhaps I will post the other version of this as well. On another note; does anyone know why Blogger refuses to put two spaces after a period?

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/2.7, 1/200 sec, ISO 50

10 Comments:

Blogger clew said...

Just browsing by ... I was shocked to see this photo - it's almost identical to one I took in Mexico about 4 years ago. :)

Enjoyed seeing your photos ...

11:31 AM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

This is lovely. I can see why you like it. Also, remember you can always have more than one version of the same shot thanks to photoshop.

The cropping though could be a bit of an issue, perhaps. I didn't notice the bottom at first, since your blog has a black background. I might have tried cropping it right to the horizon. Now I feel differently when I look at it's larger version, on the white background. Perhaps a border around it for the main page for these types of darker shots. I have the opposite problem on my blog since I use white background.

There is a very small flare at the top middle too which I might try cloning out. Otherwise, it is a gorgeous shot.

12:41 PM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Some really great reflections off the clouds and horizon in this shot. Pretty!

5:48 PM, May 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the cloud formation looks great with sunset light bouncing off! cheers ;)

9:37 PM, May 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Timmybomb,

Nice Picture, but ranked with the other ten million or more "sunsets", it probably falls in the middle 1/3.

It makes antsyl miss Hawaii!
It makes me miss sailing!

Brew up that espresso, we are stopping by before you leave for oregano.

unklrbrt

10:04 PM, May 12, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

I was in the same dilemma today about parts being overexposed (but for me : it was ushc a bright day I couldn't avoud it : so even I kept the original).I like the shot alot : very powerful.GREAT SHOT!

11:03 PM, May 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I aggree with you, silly Timmy, trying to crop out the reason you took the shot in the 1st place :) I'm glad you did not cause this is a pretty good shot. I have not been able to get on this nice, (okay mainly because I hardly ever try, too lazy :))

The bottom of the shot also adds to the image, I would have kept it exactly like this. Good one. Suby

12:34 AM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger Nicola said...

This is a great sunset photo. Please don't do anything else to it! :)

11:48 AM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Beautiful sunset shot, perfect as is. I can never decide between sunrise and sunset shots. When you take so many, they each have positive and negative points...to us. I don't think anyone else sees the "faults" because they weren't their for the original scene.

2:40 PM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger Jill said...

This is just beautiful!!

3:45 PM, May 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com