Monday, May 08, 2006

Abstract?


Thanks for the comments on yesterdays post, I always appreciate it when you take the time to give me thoughtful feedback. I don't have much to say today. I took this photo while downtown last week. I really like it, but I'm not sure why. It is very simple, but I think it works. Is this considered an abstract? I know that it can be difficult to make a meaningful comment on pictures like this, but I am quite curious to gauge your reaction. Feel free to leave a very simple comment, stating whether or not you like it.

I took a whole bunch of photos over the last three days. I have been exercising self-discipline by not looking at any of them. I promised my self on Friday morning that I wouldn't look at my new work until at least Monday morning, and I made it. I am hoping that the delay in viewing them will cause me to appreciate the good ones more, perhaps having forgotten that I ever took them. Having said that, it's killing me not to see them. I think I will probably have to have a look this morning. Cheerio!

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/8.0, 1/250 sec, ISO 50

15 Comments:

Blogger Merili said...

Looks amazingly peaceful and the composition of concrete and water is wonderful. Fantastic idea! I was just looking at all your other shots and 1 thought went through my mind, they are all very calm, very peaceful and almost like paintings.
I really like your work.

10:26 AM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

I agree with Merili, your work is very calming. I like that.

This shot is good. I wonder though if it would be good to have a little more of the concrete on the far side visible. I don't know though. This is very peaceful, it has a very cool tone which appeals to me for this shot.

You know you bring up a good point about abstract too. What actually constitutes abstract and how do you gauge the qualities in one. It's very subjective.

12:44 PM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Blog Intro said...

This Blog will be Introduced on BlogIntro.com today!

2:15 PM, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the subject, but for me the balance of the elements is a little out. The water is more interesting, and so I would have featured that more. But framing it with the concrete is great. Maybe a shallower angle, to get a frame on three sides, with more water in it?

3:50 PM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Oh i see you're also doing the blogintro thing - tried it didnt get a single visitor - its crappy.
Anyway about the shot - vloe it because of the curves and the big main contrast - GREAT SHOT!

7:05 PM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Wolf said...

Makes me want to take a dip! Great shot!

9:42 PM, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like the framing and use of lines..I wouldn't mind a swim right now! cheers ;)

10:33 PM, May 08, 2006  
Blogger Mr. P said...

reminiscent of thin swimming at maple grove...

12:06 AM, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would consider this abstract. The colors are really nice. One thought I had would be to include a bit more of the pool walk way on the back side of the pool. The cropping seems abrupt and not letting the abstract line of the walkway on the backside have enough impact.

2:43 AM, May 09, 2006  
Blogger Nicola said...

Nice contrast.

2:45 AM, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes abstract and just cut ;)

4:16 AM, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I would call this abstract. When I think of that word, I think of things I can't identify, but that appeal to my eyes. This is nice, simple and well composed. I don't wait more than a day to look at my shots. I figure if they suck, I can tell right away. ;)

4:34 AM, May 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this one, Tim. I like the interest in the water and the contrast between the color of the water and the concrete.

For me, I maybe would've cropped out the small part of concrete at the top part of the photo. Maybe just leave a tiny part of the curve on the right side to add a little interest.

Great shot though! You're doing a fantastic job!

5:32 AM, May 09, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

TB,
I like the big blocks of colour and the smooth curved line.

6:33 PM, May 09, 2006  
Blogger Heather said...

you can almost feel the textures in this photo. I love it's simplicity and the brilliant color.

4:51 PM, May 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com