Monday, May 01, 2006

Poor Man's Velvet


When we were at the tulip festival last week we saw a lot of different tulips, but I didn't see any that looked like this. This flower was growing in my wife's garden. It's fascinating, and funny looking. I think I captured it a little past its prime, but it's still pretty neat.

Last week I observed the famous Uncle Robert using a piece of black velvet cloth to create a nice background for his macro shots. I don't have a fancy piece of velvet, but I wanted to try the technique anyway. I did have my wife's black coat, so I hung it on my tripod behind this funky tulip. As it turns out, that looked stupid. However, it did make it easy to create a mask on Photoshop, and then insert my own black background.

I sharpened this photo, but I'm still not happy with some of the edges. More sharpening didn't help. Any hints?

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/3.5, 1/80 sec, ISO 50

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey whatever works, it nicely isolates your flower!

5:45 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger Wolf said...

Nice job on this, great colors and detail!

5:59 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger Laurie said...

Beautiful.

Is the tulip a mutant, or is it supposed to look like this? It's very cool.

7:16 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger "K" Fingerett said...

So pretty! I've never seen a flower like this before :)

The black helps the flower stand out more.

Thanks for sharing- nice work Timmy


~K

9:01 PM, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a nice shot Timmy. More red tones perhaps to say something ;)

12:50 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Stunning shot - fantastic colours!You are right about the slightly blurred edges - but I think this one is better WITH them - they might have occured in photoshop while selecting out the flower or something.Lovely shot - creative use to get your black background.Extremely GREAT SHOT!

1:10 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
Its a strangely beautiful looking flower with very unusual markings. Is it a hybrid tulip TB?
Fantastic colour and isolated/enhanced very well with the black background.

2:00 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Monterey John said...

Timmy, that is marvelous.

7:01 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger The Alchemist said...

great shots tim - love all of em - even the grassy refleciton one - its quite relaxing

The tramp one is great - nice crop here - did mazingly weel to capture it at a redlight - I really really like it -

Well done with the backdrop of the current picture - looks great -

12:57 PM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Jill said...

BEAUTIFUL!!

7:32 PM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Nicola said...

Wonderful colors of this tulip!

6:06 AM, May 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com