Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Sunsets: Just Another Tourist Trap


It's just another sunset. Are sunset photos lame? Are there just too many of them? A sunset happens every day. Who needs a photo when you can simply look out your window in the evening? Does anybody actually buy this sort of thing? I suspect not. Except perhaps tourists who want to remember the beauty they saw while on vacation. Tourists are suckers, perhaps I could make a buck or two.

Okay, admittedly some sunsets are more equal than others. Bethany and I went to the beach last week to play Scrabble and watch the sunset. It was a lovely evening, so I naturally brought my camera. The sunset was the sort that changes appearance regularly, leaving me with a variety of images that are rather pleasing to the eye.

Poor Bethany has to put up with me bringing the camera along on each of our outdoor dates. We live in such a beautiful city, so inspiration tends to hit me with some regularity. It must look funny though; me, my girl, and my tripod, all cuddling together on a blanket at the beach. She beat me at Scrabble, so I'd say we're even.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/7.1, 1/125, ISO 50

7 Comments:

Blogger Marie McC said...

Not all sunsets are created equal. Not every sunset is the same. Not everyone has a beach. Not everyone is able to do as good a job capturing them as you have done with this one. So no, sunsets are not lame and since you'll never see another one exactly like this one, it's good you brought your camera.

I have mostly condo buildings and power lines to go with my sunsets. No way am I able to get anything decent where I live now. I envy your sunset.

11:37 AM, August 22, 2006  
Blogger Puppatina said...

This is really beautiful TB.
Makes me feel immediately relaxed. I like art that makes me feel. It's a winner.

=:-}

12:22 PM, August 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of hurting your feelings, as sunset shots go, this one is lame (in my opinion).

I still love you a lot though, I you are making some great photos! (maybe it looks better on your monitor).

unklrbrt

12:32 PM, August 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to disagree with unklrbrt. This is a pretty nice sunset. A little work and some selective dodging could make it quite nice.
Lame is not a valid judgment in my humble opinion. To constructively criticize you should judge the subject matter, exposure and sharpness. So in doing so the subject matter while not the most exciting is pleasant, the exposure adequate and the sharpness sufficient. Every other judgment is up to the individual with the photographer being the best judge as a interpretor of the scene he shot.
Sorry did not mean to preach - lol

1:52 PM, August 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think this is lame either.

I think it is rather lovely.

I carry my camera nearly everywhere I go. There aren't many places I don't have it with me. I don't carry a purse, I carry a backpack camera bag. LOL

10:52 PM, August 22, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Sounds like it was, (and looks like it was) a great evening together! Lovely capture.

2:54 AM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like sunsets. They aren't boring photos as long as they aren't boring sunsets to begin with. I really like this shot, the reflection on the water is great.

Believe it or not my most sold print is a sunset, and just a sunset 95% pure sky. So, people do like them (or at least my people)

7:40 AM, August 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com