Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Blue Skies


Bethany and I stopped at a forest ranger station while driving through the Caribou Forest Region. The station is a tower at the top of a mountain, where the ranger spends weeks observing the surrounding forest, looking for possible forest fires.

I took a huge panorama shot that was made up of five photos but I'm not going to show it to you. The pano has a flaw that this one lacks. It taught me a lesson though. I am learning to pay attention to portions of nature that fluctuate throughout a period of seconds or minutes. In this case, I did not pay enough attention to the shadows that were cast on the forest by the clouds. The bottom half of my panorama is almost completely covered in shadows, causing a major distraction.

The photo you see here lacks those shadows, not because I intentionally waited for them to pass, but because I got lucky. I did, however, learn my lesson. Last night, while shooting a sunset from the beach, I was very intentional about when I pressed the shutter, paying close attention to the timing of the crashing waves, which formed distinct lines at the bottom of the frame.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/8, 1/250, ISO 50

7 Comments:

Blogger Monterey John said...

Not bad for a portrait person! You're learning. Us "scapers" deal with that all the time. Good shot.

2:53 PM, September 13, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

The vastness is impressive! I recall taking the train east from Vancouver in June of 1962. One fellow passenger was a woman from the prairies. She was cutting short her vacation because she could not stand feeling so closed in. I could not understand it at the time -- she should have taken this view.

5:37 PM, September 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I've always wanted to climb up one of those fire towers...but the only ones I know are "off limits" to the public.

8:41 PM, September 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro you got to do me a favour, at least one day out of the week, give me a portrait. I need to see you do a little bit more of people shots :)

Suby

2:32 AM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I did enjoy hearing about your lessons learned while out shooting. Getting out there and "just shooting it" is the only way we'll learn. Keep sharing with us.

This is a gorgeous view, the sky is such a pretty blue.

3:29 AM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger PhotoSam said...

Beauitful blues....8.5/10
cr=6/10

9:50 AM, September 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New home for MJ... drop by when you get a chance.

I noticed my comment above, that belonged on another blog. Now how the heck did that happen?

Anyway, lovely shot.

12:20 PM, September 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com