Thursday, August 24, 2006

Spanish Sunrise


A couple of days ago we discussed whether or not sunset photos are lame. Today I'd like to pursue a similar discussion about sunrises. It feels like they are less lame because it takes much more effort to photograph a sunrise. A certain level of commitment is required in order to get out of bed and drag your sorry carcass to a predetermined location. Sunsets happen at a much more convenient time of day, thus lowering their intrinsic value.

This photo was taken from Spanish Banks East, a beach in Vancouver only a half a kilometer west of where I took the aforementioned sunset. I was at the beach with Bethany and my parents earlier this week, when I noticed that this section of the beach juts out a bit, providing an unobstructed view of downtown. I immediately decided that this would be my next location for a dawn photohunt.

This photo was underexposed for effect, in order to capture the deep golden and blue colours. I included the foreground in order to give a sense of depth and perspective. The back lighting and underexposure leaves everything but the sky and sea as a silhouette.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/8, 1/500 sec, ISO 50

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hj Timmybomb,

Very dramatic!

In some way, I like the signpost - but I am not sure about this element.

I think that you got the exposure just right.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - tomorrow!


Love,

unklrbrt

11:36 AM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely shot, good job on the exposure. I can see what you are talking about. While in Hilton Head, I did 2 sunrises and 2 sunsets, and I got a lot more of a sense of accomplishment out of the sunrise photos than I did the sunset ones.

Hey, it looks like a happy birthday is in order. :)

4:43 PM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...Happy Birthday!

I find sunrises more satisfying for the same reason...plus there is just something so calm about that time of day for me.

The colors are stunning.

5:28 PM, August 24, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

I love the softness of light. I think your commitment paid off. Thanks for the beauty.

6:48 PM, August 24, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Your planning ahead on this shot really paid off, it's a beautiful capture of the sunrise!

Happy Birthday, Tim. I hope it's a great day for you!

2:59 AM, August 25, 2006  
Blogger PhotoSam said...

Sunrises are most definitely tougher....liking this one...8.5/10

4:38 AM, August 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had taken this shot :(

Suby

4:50 AM, August 25, 2006  
Blogger Monterey John said...

Lame? LAME?! PUH-LEASE! I shoot way too many of them to start questioning that now.

This is a lovely shot, well done.

7:03 AM, August 25, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

thank god my blog's name is thedailysunrise eh?
I like it alot, lovely shot.
GREAT GREAT SHOT!!

7:44 AM, August 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beauty!

1:45 PM, August 25, 2006  
Blogger Ptelea said...

The idea of whether or not a sunset or sunrise is a lame subject is silly. There is no such thing unless the photographer makes it so. Would you ever suggest that babies are a lame subject??? Sunrises and sunsets are common subjects because they are beautiful - it is as simple as that. I like to experience and photograph the hour before sunrise and it is an incredible experience - day after day after day. I like to get up early so I see no reason to value sunrises over sunsets or babies for that matter.

Photograph whatever you want - just put your heart and soul into it!

11:06 PM, August 25, 2006  
Blogger ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
I wouldn't consider either one to be lame. For me the art is in the expression of the photographic image not solely the subject of the photographic image. A subject matter maybe interesting but if it's not expressed completely the image hasn't reached it's potential.
Your image without a title could easily be a sunset as well.

2:36 AM, August 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think either sunrise or sunset are a bad thing to shoot. Its worth turning the camera 90 gegrees and shooting what is being bathed in the warmer toned light with the much longer shadows though. That is worth getting out of bed for (so I am told) ;-)

3:27 AM, August 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com