Monday, September 11, 2006

Lone Butte Yacht Club

While driving through a town called Lone Butte (a butte is small isolated hill, it is not the large piece of flesh on your posterior; you're so immature) when I noticed about five of old crappy boats lying around in a dried up marsh. It looked pretty strange, but it became downright comical when we noticed the sign.

I have several compositions of this scene. I found it really difficult to create a composition that would present the scene in an interesting way. Why is it that I can see something that I find intensely interesting and yet fail to capture it in a way that will convey the emotions I am feeling?

My difficulty with this scene was communicating the information to the viewer. I think a broader view of the scene would make it more clear that their was no water anywhere near the group of boats. However, when I used a wider angle, the frame was too cluttered with unnecessary items and lacked a sense of balance and order. In the end I decided that it was best to decide on one point of interest, rather than encompassing the entire scene. This photo doesn't make me feel the same way I did when we drove past the boats, but I believe it adequately conveys some of the humour of the scene.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 34mm, f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 50

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

My husband has wanted a boat now for quite some time. I keep telling him that we have to wait until the kids are done with school then maybe, just maybe we can afford one again.

I sent him the link to this shot with the subject line: "Oooh...I think I just found a boat and a Yacht club we can afford!"

11:57 AM, September 11, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

Actually, I think you captured this scene quite well. I like the little tree growing right up next to the boat. It is very clear in this image that there is no water to be found. Nice work, Tim!

2:41 AM, September 12, 2006  
Blogger ndiginiz said...

Tena koe ehoa
You done exactly what you wanted to Timmy, The isolation of the boat from water is very apparent in your image.

3:30 AM, September 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This had me rolling around in laughter (at work that is a very funny sight).

Wonder why they choose that name.

Suby

4:31 AM, September 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheh nice one!

7:48 AM, September 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see what you are saying, it's like my mind wants to tell me that there is water just in front of that boat. But maybe I am to grumpy for the joke. I can't imagine that there is anything to do to help that, my only thought was taking the photo from a view point where you could see in front of the boat, perhaps lower, but you probably tried that. anyways it's good, but I get what you are saying

1:30 PM, September 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com