Saturday, August 26, 2006

My Birthday Rocks


I would like to take this opportunity to thank my family and friends, who contributed to a most wonderful birthday gift. Bethany made me an SLR jar. What is an SLR jar, you ask. It is like a piggy bank for grown ups who have their eye on a fancy pants camera, but don't yet have the budget required to obtain such a toy. The beautiful part about it is that my friends and family all helped to prime the pot. Thanks to their generous gifts, I am about halfway to a new camera (probably the Canon 30D). It blesses me so much that my loved ones have been so supportive as I explore this strange new hobby of photography.

I look forward to obtaining an SLR some time next year, but in the meantime, I will continue to test the limits of my beloved point and shoot. I know that there is still so much to learn about composition, and that can be done with any camera. I am very grateful to the famous Uncle Robert, who continually challenges me to improve and reminds me that it's not the camera, but the man behind the camera that makes a great photograph.

I normally opt for variety, but your comments regarding "photos wherein the sun is close to the horizon" interest me a great deal. I would like your feedback on this photo, particularly in comparison to the similar sunrise I posted the other day. I suspect people will like the other one better. People seem to respond more emotionally to bolder colours. However, I think I might like this one better. I think it's refreshing to see an image that has been overexposed on purpose. I'm interested in your opinion regarding the composition and the exposure. Are you still reading this? Wow, you're a trooper.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/8, 1/6 sec, ISO 50

12 Comments:

Blogger PhotoSam said...

It is an interesting shot....hope that the slr jar fills up pretty soon..

1:03 AM, August 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a clever title for this post!

I like the exposure here, the los perspective is very nice. It's a very lovely shot.

Hope that jar fills up quickly for you.

8:28 AM, August 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correct to spell "low" perspective...I didn't get to sleep until about 4 AM...zzzzz...I should go back to bed.

8:29 AM, August 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Timmybomb,

I like the composition of this shot, and the exposure is pretty good - I wonder if it might be a bit more ? dramitic ? with slightly less exposure - hard to tell on my laptop monitor. Good eye!!

This could be a before (horizon) and after (foreground) of beautiful Vancouver, if you called it "earthquake".

I have no idea where that thought came from.

If you read tis before tomorrow p.m., don't forget to pick us up at the airport 2014 westjet #431.

We are looking forward to seeing you guys again!

Love,

unklrbrt

2:26 PM, August 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely capture. The only thing I might suggest is a little more light in the foreground to show off the rocks. Hope the SLR jar fills quickly.

3:02 PM, August 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you currently use a "point and shoot" (I really hate calling it that because, as you know, you can do so much more than just point and shoot). I hope your jar grows soon! Happy Birthday!

Also, check this out, you might like it:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844

3:09 PM, August 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer this photo to the other - not sure why. Perhaps it's the composition but I think the quality of light took me to that awesome moment of dawn that is so fleeting - light but not yet light, or something.

Love,

Aunt Sylv

9:18 PM, August 27, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

First I have to say congrats on the great gift, you have a wonderful group of people around you who obviously love you very much.

This is a beautiful image, the composition is awesome!! That makes is a better image over the previous.

2:08 AM, August 28, 2006  
Blogger PhotoSam said...

p.s. ive moved to http://www.photosam.shutterchance.com/ so be sure to visit

5:58 AM, August 28, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

TB,
The foreground is more interesting and the sky less so than your other shot. A wave lapping over the rocks catching a beam of sunset would have been a nice touch.

6:52 AM, August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely perspective, great shot!

10:57 AM, August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, in the smaller version, I didn't even realize that was a city skyline! this is amazing.

6:42 AM, August 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com