Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Crumby Cranberries


This is a cranberry field. There are a whole bunch of these fields in Richmond, about fifteen minutes from my house. I stopped by these fields late in the day a couple of weeks ago. I regret that I didn't spend at least an hour there, exploring all the composition possibilities. Forget regret, I'm really ticked at myself. A cranberry field is a really cool subject, and if I had put in the effort, I'm sure I could have come up with some really interesting photographs. Instead I got this lame one. I must learn to slow down and take my time. Maybe this crop is better, but I don't think so.

For those who have never witnessed a cranberry harvest, I will briefly explain. The berries grow on short bushes near the ground (not unlike wild blueberries). Rather than pay people minimum wage to bend over and pick the berries all day, the workers are given machines. The field is flooded so that the berries will float to the surface. In order to keep the cranberries from clinging to the vine, the workers use machines that look like a giant snowblower. The 'blades' beat the berries off of the bush, and they rise to the surface of the water. Then another machine scoops them up.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 39mm, f/8, 1/125 sec, ISO 50

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NJ is know for cranberries, although I have never seen a cranberry bog up close.

I'm at a loss as to how to make this shot any better. I think the reflection is cool.

4:57 PM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger tony.unwin said...

this is cool shot..
you are lucky to have the real thing so close to hand, for me in Richmond, UK, I have only the reconstruction at Kew Gardens (see 10/10/06)
Thanks for sharing the real thing with us
:o)
T

9:43 PM, October 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shot timmy....

The post before really really hits the spot for me...really nice work..:D

Havnt visited in awhile huh!!! must stop by more often..

yanik

11:43 PM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I think what you've got here, Tim, is a very colorful abstract image! Look a little closer and see the shapes and colors you captured. Pretty good!

3:12 AM, October 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Timmybomb,

Yes, you really should have spent more time there.

I find myself wanting to like this shot, but I can't talk myself into it.

The first photo is better than the "crop" which is crop. Maybe the shot could do with more of the green - or none of the green I definitely like the blue which seems to be lost in the "crop'.

Not a bad shot for an amature, but not up to standard for you.

Love,

unklrbrt

10:19 PM, October 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been fascinated at this process. Love the rich, red colours.

4:47 AM, December 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com