Saturday, April 01, 2006

Subject vs. Composition


I'm of two minds when it comes to this picture. I think I like composition. The lighting is fine, the depth of field is good, the colours are decent. I also like the way the leaves in the foreground frame the flowers. I don't like the subject itself. The flowers are of the plain variety, and they are not in very good condition. I've posted this picture because I would like feedback on the composition. If I'm on the right track, I'd like to keep my eye out for opportunities to take similar photos of flowers that are having a better day.

Thanks for all of the feedback I have been getting of late. I'm learning!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The flower that you have choosen to photograph may appear to be of common origin, however it is the beauty of the flower that you have been able to capture.

It Icical Pansy is a common plant, however the colour of the plant often gives the most common area a range of fantastic beauty. In this picture, the flower is graced with the exitement of red and yellow that bring a fire like expression. An expressio that is enhanced by the greenery which has framed it.

It looks good and I like it. The simplist photos are more than what we sometimes give value for.

3:29 PM, April 01, 2006  
Blogger The Alchemist said...

yeah i like it too tim.

I'm not a big fan of flower pictures either - as you said yourself - I guess natures so beautiful anyway, so I try to look for things that i can create beauty, or bring out the beauty with my camera.

However - this shot is good - the colours have been captured well - and your definately learning to use the depth of field - somehing which for me is always a struggle.

Congratualations your images are getting better with every post - good luck with the next one! I look forward to seeing it.

AD

4:58 PM, April 01, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

Don't worry about the flower being of the common variety -- what is common in Vancouver is not so in other areas of the world; the simplicity can be a plus. I am not a pro so I only speak of my personal preference. I would prefer seeing the full flower even with the other colours banding in. I like the colors. Other folks will have different preferences and undoubtedly better insights. You are improving -- keep up the good work.

6:03 PM, April 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great colors contrast and nice frame wt the leaves:-) great capture

7:06 AM, April 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com