Thursday, September 14, 2006

Tungsten Sky


Yesterday's sky seemed to interest people, so I figured I would give you another sky of interest. Bethany and I stayed at a fantastic B&B located on the shore of Timothy Lake. We got to spend some quality time together on the dock, roasting marshmallows over a campfire, drinking tea, and watching the sunset.

Truth be told, we didn't quite make it to the sunset. As you can see here, some storm clouds moved in and it started to rain on us. Before we retreated to the warm comfort of our basement suite, I was able to take a few photos of the magnificent clouds. In order to enhance the drama, I opted for a significant underexposure. This led to more definition in the clouds and left the landscape as a silhouette, meaning that it can't compete with the sky for attention.

I achieved the blue hue by adjusting the white balance. I have a blue filter on my camera, but I've never liked the results it delivers. Instead, I switched my white balance to Tungsten. This setting is supposed to be used indoors, toning down the yellow cast given off by lightbulbs. My indoor photos look terrible when I use this setting, but I think outdoor, low light situations are an interesting opportunity to make use of the Tungsten setting. I know I could have done the same thing in Photoshop, but I thought this might satisfy the purists.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 13mm, f/8, 1/500 sec, ISO 50

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely skies in this shot. I also think the blue tones work well for this shot.

2:15 PM, September 14, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

This purist is happy!!

I love the detailed explanation of how you achieved this shot, too. Well done!!

4:18 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger PhotoSam said...

LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY blues.....sorry the rain spoilt the evening...8.5/10
cr=9/10

9:57 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Very cool shot. Nevner thought of toning it cooler instead of the usual warmer.
GREAT GREAT SHOT!!!

12:09 AM, September 16, 2006  
Blogger Kimberley said...

Great shot. I love sky sots. Enjoyed your entire blogg!

3:15 AM, September 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Timmy, that is interesting. I'm about to make the leap to a DSLR, so this post is of interest. I am at the bottom of the curve on this sort of thing. Did you know what you had by looking at the screen, or did you have to wait for the download? Very appealing image.

Drop in at the new site when the mood moves you.

2:49 PM, September 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue-tifull!

11:11 AM, September 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com