Monday, October 23, 2006

Barf



I have been observing with fondness the beautiful autumn colours as they appear first on the trees, then on the ground. This is my favourite season and the colours stir up a great deal of emotions in me. It is almost as though my heart is caused to sing (poetry, isn't it?). The photos that I have taken of these colours stir up emotions of another type. Namely: anger, disappointment, confusion, nausea, dandruff...

Why can't I take a photo that accurately represents my feelings on this particular subject? I see red leaves that cause my heart to dance. My camera sees some dead, two dimensional foliage in the gutter. I gaze up at a huge maple tree as it dares the wind to blow harder. My camera shrugs, as it captures just another piece of wood against a grey sky. Can I blame it on my camera, the way a golfer stares at his putter after he has missed yet another two footer?

No, I'm just on a very steep learning curve, and I don't have the ponies to get up the hill. It seems to me that each new season presents a whole new set of challenges, leaving me perplexed as to how to compose a pleasing photograph. I'll figure it out, but it's going to take a lot of work. With that in mind, I leave you with this: the mass of gross colours that led to the nausea.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 38mm, f/3.5, 1/160, ISO 100

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timmy STOP RIPPING YOURSELF TO SHREDS!!!

Ok...I think you area trying to hard. Just let it happen.

I am getting tired of hearing you tear yourself down. STOP IT!

This shot is fascinating. It appears to be ripples in the current with reflections. It looks like an abstract in oil or acrylic. It's pretty cool.

If your colors aren't coming out the way you see them, there is no shame in doing color correction in Photoshop.

Different films produce different colors, also filters can warm or cool things, so it wouldn't be "cheating" to do color balancing or adjustments (if you are trying to be "purist").

2:08 PM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel expectations always seem to run slightly ahead of your abilities. This is a good thing though as it drives us to learn and experiment and grow as photographers. Now and then the camera allows a little gem just to keep our interest up ;-)

1:23 AM, October 25, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

What do you want to shoot, Tim...the same old cliche' autumn shots that everyone does, that we see year after year? I like today's image a lot. You've captured the colors of autumn in a unique way, well done.

2:38 AM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the abstract feel to this - together with the autumn colours!

4:07 AM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're nuts to not be pleased with this very cool, abstract image. The thing about art is that we're not always in control of where it goes once we've made it. This is lovely art that reflects an element of the wonder locked up in creation. I have no idea where it came from, but it connected with me....so good job.

7:13 AM, October 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a superb image. One of your best IMHO.

1:24 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Franco said...

Wow !!!
what a texture!
That's an image you have to be proud of!

9:51 AM, January 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This photo is awesome - so textural. I feel so inclined to wrap it around me and touch it.
I don't think it's "barfy" at all!
Rethink it and rename it, that's what I say.

7:20 PM, April 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com