Monday, October 23, 2006

Beach Boy


This marks a first here at Rookie Photographer. This photo was edited using Picasa. I normally use PhotoShop CS2 for any editing I may do (I don't do much), but I recently downloaded this program from Google's ever expanding empire, so I thought I'd give it a try. Since this blog is all about stretching the limits of a point and shoot, perhaps it makes sense to use the software that most point and shoot owners would tend to use. Besides, it would seem that Google is going to take over the world anyway, so we may as well just give in. There are a few things that I really like about Picasa, especially the straightening tool. The black and white conversion is pretty good too.

This photo was taken at Stanley Park a couple of weeks ago. A few people have asked me about my unsettling habit of posting photos of strangers on my website. When suffering from the boredom that rests upon those who are unwilling to activate their bodies, I often resort to taking pictures of other people's kids while at the park. I realized that some parents probably wouldn't appreciate their offspring being featured on my blog, so I haven't been posting those photos recently. I figure this one is okay because there is no way to estimate the identity of this silhouette. In fact, I am so confident in this that I am willing to give my scientific calculator to anyone who guesses correctly.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 68mm, f/8, 1/400 sec, ISO 50

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picasa is a wonderful little application which also makes posting to blogger effortless. I wouldn't have started photoblogging if I didn't have Gmail which lead me to Picasa which lead me to Blogger. Hmmm...Google has made me what I am today! They really do seem to be taking over the world. lol.

Unfortunately Picasa is not available for Mac, at least not when I last checked. But it doesn't matter since I am shooting RAW and picasa doesn't like Nikon D200 NEF (caused the oddest colors). Worked fine with the Olympus files. Anyway Picasa is a great little application.

I really like this shot very much, and you are right there is no way to tell who this child is.

11:11 AM, October 23, 2006  
Blogger tr3nta said...

not bad for a 'rookie'... enjoyed your blog and photos.
hope u can visit mine and tell me what u think...

2:15 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I'd like to see more of your experimentation is Picasa. This is a lovely conversion to b&w.

2:17 AM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how you have captured the silhouette of the boy!

4:53 AM, October 24, 2006  
Blogger PhotoSam said...

lol, i always stop myself short of posting shots where i don't think the person in the shot would be too glad to see their face on my blog...

that being said, its amazing how u got this shot to look soooo good in Picasa...8.5/10

8:12 AM, October 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a stunning shot, and I see nothing wrong with posting this sort of photo.

4:48 AM, December 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com