Thursday, October 26, 2006

Vivid Blue

Another attempt at the fall colours, and another Picasa editing job. I spent a half hour at the community center, crawling through the garden, seeking a composition that would be at least mildly interesting and original. This was one of the photos I came up with. I'm a little disappointed that the closest leaf on the right is out of focus, but the position from which I took the picture was an awkward one, so it was hard to get everything exactly right.

I tried a camera setting I've never used before. I set it to "Vivid Blue", in order to get the sky looking very blue. When operating in this mode, there are no manual controls for the exposure. Since I was using the "Vivid Blue" setting, I decided I would try to avoid over exposing the sky, so I metered the sky using the AE lock, then composed the photo. It was the middle of the day, and the sun was still bright, so I figured I could get away with it. Looks like the exposure ended up pretty even. I'm not sure how I like the sky though. I think blue might be a little too vivid.

It's kind of a weird composition. The tree trunk on the left and the leaves at the bottom form a bit of a frame. Normally they would be framing a subject, but there doesn't seem to be a point of interest back there (vivid blue notwithstanding), so the frame itself seems to be the subject. I don't know if I like it, but I thought I would put it out for discussion.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 6mm, f/8, 1/200 sec, ISO 50

7 Comments:

Blogger micki said...

Every photo has to have a subject and/or theme. The theme here is definitely the colors of fall, and boy did you capture them!! The foreground is beautifully lit so that the leaves seem to glow in the sunlight, and the sidelighting on the tree truck really brings out the textures in the bark. The background branches add more color to this scene without distracting from the well lit elements to the front of them. I think the sky is the perfect blue. It looked that blue here two days ago. Great shot, Tim! It's good to see an autumn image that isn't cliche'.

3:43 AM, October 27, 2006  
Blogger PhotoSam said...

composition is weird but fitting...i dont know about the blue but those orange and yellows sure as hell are vivid....8/10

6:35 AM, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are fall colors? We don't do fall colors here. Everything just turns green with the first rain of the season... when we get the rain. Right now we are doing huge fires which took a tragic turn south of here yesterday. But I like your shot. I think a polarizer would have done the same thing to the sky that your "vivid blue" did. It's fine. The colors are superb.

7:05 AM, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOps, left the address off!

7:06 AM, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think these colors are gorgeous and that is the same blue I get with a polaraizer. I think the composition is interesting and different...I like it.

1:18 PM, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Tim,

I love the colours! Even the vivid blue sky. But you're right about the composition's lacking a centre of interest. The unique perspective helps, though.

Love,
Aunt Sylv

5:33 PM, November 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you did a great job, and probably accomplished what you set out to do. The sky looks perfect, and I like the low angle of the camera.

4:45 AM, December 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com