Monday, April 09, 2007

The Tulip Wars


Bethany and I often have disagreements about my photography. She often likes photos that I think are junk. Ironically, she sometimes dislikes some of my favourite photographs. Sadly, because she has access to our entire hard drive, many of my "nice try" pictures make it to her blog. Today's post is no exception. I thought I would counteract the lame tulips that appear on her blog with a much better tulip pic. To be fair, Bethany does like this photo, but had already posted it a few weeks ago.

I took this a couple months ago while trying out a lens that the Famous Uncle Robert is loaning to me. It's an old Tamron 70-210mm macro and I like it a lot. For this image I used it with a 2x teleconverter. I like the lens a lot, but the mount is too old for my camera, so I'm going to find out if I can get an adapter for it that will make it work better. As of right now, the camera seems to get confused and doesn't get enough light from the lens even though I have manually set the lens to f/2.8 (this problem exists with and without the teleconverter). Hopefully I can get a more modern adapter, because this lens is pretty sweet. As of right now, I have to use such slow shutter speeds (this one was a 10 second exposure) that hand-held shots are out of the question, and a stiff breeze will leave me completely powerless.

Next week I will tell you about the wicked lens that my friend Greg gave me. It works beautifully as a portrait lens.

Peace out.

Timmy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

You're so right! This photo is 10x the photo your wife put on her blog. This photo is gorgeous! And I'm not even a tulip fan.

6:31 PM, April 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are both lovely. I really love the purple one. I've been doing a lot of macro flowers lately. It's one of my favorite kinds of shooting.

I have a dedicated macro (Nikon 60mm macro) for my D200. I've found that you really need to use the tri-pod when shooting macros pretty much all the time. I've also found that using manual focus when shooting macros gets the best results. But you really won't have great luck with macro unless you use a tri-pod, it's really essential. I also use the cable release. I'd even say a focusing rail would be useful as well, but I don't have one of those.

You will likely lose stops of light when you attach teleconverters. So it's not that unusual. Most often it's been recommended to me not to exceed the 1.4x teleconverter since the 2x eats about 2 stops of light and isn't thought to be as sharp.

5:43 AM, April 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really glad to have tou back blogging bro :)

Suby

2:10 AM, April 17, 2007  
Blogger Monterey John said...

That is just plain marvelous. Lovely shot.

10:28 PM, April 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

6:30 PM, November 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com