Monday, October 30, 2006

Autumn Floor


Another abstract fall photo, processed in Picasa. I drove all the way across town to the West Side. Why is it that the west side of every city is always the more classy part of town? In Vancouver, the folks on the west get bigger houses on bigger lots, with bigger trees and less power lines and telephone wires (I think they're all underground). On the east side of town, our streets are lined with lame little trees, and we get properties that are so small, that if the windows are open, I may as well be in my neighbour's kitchen. Sadly, they cook some pretty smelly Vietnamese food next door, so being in their kitchen can be a rather unpleasant experience (don't tell them I said that).

Oh, sorry for the rant. Anyways, I went to the west side to photograph their superior fall foliage. The famous Uncle Robert suggested I give myself an assignment, and I accepted the challenge. I decided to spend an hour in a parking lot. I could shoot anything in or outside of the parking lot, but I was not to step outside of the boundary of the lot. I had a lot of fun shooting a whole bunch of really bad photographs. An hour wasn't enough time either. I never made more than one parking space away from my car.

Some of my time in the parking lot was spent with my camera mounted on my tripod pointed straight down. I wandered the lot, exploring the shapes and colours that passed through the viewfinder. When I found an arrangement that was interesting I would stop and fine tune the composition. It was fun, though perhaps not as successful as I had hoped. I also have a square version of this, but I think I like this one better because the green lines seem to be pointing towards the red in the top corner. I'm mildly perturbed by the exposure because I trusted the auto exposure (aperture priority). My Canon tends to over expose on a regular basis, so I normally manually adjust it by one f-stop. I forgot to this time.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 72mm, f/5.0, 1/2 sec, ISO 50

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very unusual and for some reason when I open the larger version, It makes me think of food, spicy food. I know strange huh?

I think the colors are good and the exposure is good. I like the textures. But I still think you are trying too hard. I think your photos were better before you got so immersed in all the technical stuff and worrying too much about all the so called "rules".

In my town it's a South Side North Side thing. In the County however the towns tend to get nicer the further west you go. When you go East you are heading towards the cities including NYC. We are a suburb of NY and a commuter town.

11:55 AM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I like this, Tim! Great self assignment, and you for only one hour, you got in a good photo. The colors really pop and definitely have a great autumn feel about them.

2:55 AM, October 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this photo, the colors and placement are really great. I think it's great.

8:01 AM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger Adam Talbot said...

Hey Timmy! Your blog was the first photoblog that got me into photography, please carry on sharing your photos with us, they're awesome!

8:15 AM, February 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! It's good to see a bit of an update here.

I've followed your story about moving over the past few months and I have to say I find it so admirable that you are so committed to this mission.

God Bless you and keep you safe in your journey.

Tim, I hope you decide maybe post up a few photos of your journey. You have been missed.

5:04 AM, March 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Secret For Louis Vittoun [url=http://cheaplvhandbagsonline.webs.com/]Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags[/url] Louis Vittoun-hottie has confirmed this latest algorithm formula ; steps to making a king's ransom on your own [url=http://cheaplouisvuittonpurses.tripod.com/]Cheap Louis Vuitton Purses[/url] To Those People Who Wants To learn about Louis Vittoun But Find it hard to Get Going [url=http://louisvuitton-neverfull.weebly.com/]Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull MM[/url] Carry out the following to discover more about Louis Vittoun before you're abandoned. [url=http://lvbagforsale1.blogspot.com/]Louis Vuitton Neverfull Tote Bags[/url] The Trick To dominate the Louis Vittoun-arena Is Kind Of Basic! [url=http://louisvuitton-monograms.blogspot.com/]Discount Louis Vuitton[/url] Actual Options To Fully grasp Louis Vittoun And Also How You Can Become a part of The Louis Vittoun Elite [url=http://buycheapbag.webs.com/]Cheap Louis Vuitton Outlet[/url] Actual Solutions To Become skilled at Louis Vittoun And How One Might Link up with The Louis Vittoun Top dogs [url=http://needshopping.tripod.com/]Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet[/url] Trade Rumor : Louis Vittoun Thought of as A Must This morning [url=http://bagshipping.tripod.com/]Louis Vuitton Free Shipping[/url] Dynamic tricks of Louis Vittoun that can be used commencing straight away. [url=http://lvbagsfreeshipping.webs.com/]Louis Vittoun Bags Outlet[/url] Tips on how to discover every aspect there is to learn around Louis Vittoun in nine easy steps.

9:13 AM, March 18, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com