Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Abstract Rusty Stuff


It would seem that my comfort zone lies in landscape photography. As Suby and I have discussed, I don't even dare approach portraits. Abstracts, however, interest me a great deal. I think I will do some reading about how to create better compositions when photographing subjects that are a bit more abstract. Correction; I wish to learn how to approach subjects in a more abstract manner.

This is a piece of very old farm equipment I found on a farm property just off the highway up north. I found the tool (I believe it was some sort of till) to be somewhat of an oddity. I tried photographing it at a wide angle, but couldn't seem to find an interesting way to present it. That's when I decided to change my approach from a documentary style to that of an abstract style.

I got down on the ground, opened the aperture as wide as I could, and started exploring the spokes and bolts. I'm not terribly satisfied with the results, but I figured it was worth sharing the experiment with you. One thing that bugs me is the bolt in the bottom right. Why didn't I shift the lens slightly so that the bolt had a bit more "breathing room"? I think that type of minutiae is the sort of thing one has to consider every time they compose a shot. This is often the difference between a good shot and a sucky shot. Perhaps this picture never had a hope of being a good shot, but I wish I had at least given it a fighting chance.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 58mm, f/3.5, 1/200 sec, ISO 50

6 Comments:

Blogger PhotoSam said...

u certainly do have a way with abstracts....nice blur/focus balance here...7/10

10:59 AM, September 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care for the blur in front, it's too distracting. I like the colors.

2:20 PM, September 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see what Timmy is up to... hey, that's pretty cool. BTW, I broke down and bought a DSLR. I couldn't stand it anymore.

10:01 PM, September 27, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

I enjoy so much reading your thoughts behind every photo! I like how you shot this part of the farm machinery. Very good!

3:13 AM, September 28, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

Now this is really cool. Perfect composition.

10:42 AM, September 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this, the focus and composition is great. The rusty color is always nice to see.

3:26 PM, October 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com