Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Sharper Image


I originally cropped this photo out of another. I was only using about half of the original image, so the quality was poor. I worked on it for quite some time, trying to sharpen it and take out the noise. I was getting quite annoyed with my lack of progress; despite my best efforts, the photo still looked bad.

I like the composition. And the colours make me feel good. I liked it enough to post it, regardless of its digital flaws. When looking through the file folder, in order to check the EXIF data (the camera settings I include at the end of each post), I once again came face to face with the knowledge that I am a dope.

Right there, next to the file I had been working on, was a very similar photo. It seems that I did, in fact, take a photograph with this exact composition. After taking the photo, I had zoomed out and taken one at a wider angle. Somehow, I didn't see the tighter composition when I started working today. I wasted all that time trying to improve the quality of an image, when I had a relatively clear and sharp original sitting right beside it in the file folder. I'm glad I had the presence of mind to approach this subject with a variety of compositions.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 34mm, f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 50

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is always something so nice about hay bails this time of year. I'm not sure what it is but I love to take shots of them all lined up like that.

7:54 PM, September 30, 2006  
Blogger micki said...

This is a wonderfully seasonal image!

I like how you saw, again, the positive side of this story. When you were out shooting, you took both the telephoto and the wide angle versions of the scene.

I imagine it must be so difficult to look through a whole memory card's worth of images and view every one. If it were possible, I'd print out thumbnails of each one (much like a contact sheet from negative film) so that I could look at each. Is something like that possible?

2:53 AM, October 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The rolled up hay makes the shot even more interesting to me. I like. I can't help wonder though if it will look even better in monochrome. Probably will :)

Suby

9:37 AM, October 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to stop having a lie-in Sunday mornings and go out to shoot some hay bails - just love the look. i think you could have played around with the colours, curves, levels to bring out warmer shades of autumn. Nevertheless it is a beautiful composition.

12:07 PM, October 01, 2006  
Blogger Bob said...

And as you learned early on -- better than postprocessing is planning when you are taking the picture in the first place. These colors are pleasing.

7:02 PM, October 01, 2006  
Blogger Azhar said...

"like the composition. And the colours make me feel good" Same reason, I like this photo too. Good one. 7.5/10

3:40 AM, October 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pleasing composition and colors. It's hard to go wrong with bales of hay and barns. Good choice.

7:04 AM, October 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great shot Tim. I really like the contrasting colors of the green grass and trees against the hay and the brown barn. Great job!

7:46 AM, October 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


BlogIntro.com